by Debbie Strayer & Susan Simpson
The Common Sense Press second grade reading program continues phonics instruction that will bring confidence and fluency to the beginning reader. Students will enjoy the exciting stories in the readers and use them to learn grammar, creative writing, higher-order thinking skills, and much more. The program includes a Teacher Book, a Student Activity Book, and 6 readers, each containing several stories all packaged in a convenient, attractive full-color box.
- 36 weekly lessons divided into easy-to-use daily plans. Lessons require little or NO preparation! Instructions and activities for phonics, reading skills, grammar, creative writing, and higher-order thinking skills taken from the six delightful readers! Includes a quick review of first grade phonics and instruction in advanced phonics.
- The "real book" read alouds needed for this program may be obtained through your library or purchased from bookstores or catalogs.
- Enrichment Activities included in The Red Book Program will challenge your student with thinking, writing, and creative activities that are ideal for the fluent reader and easily adaptable for the nonreader.
- Handwriting instruction teaches upper and lower case letters, numbers, PLUS punctuation! Illustrated practice sheets encourage your student to do his best.
- Phonics Facts, Grammar Guides, and Punctuation Pointers keep students on track.
- Games, word-wheels, flip books, and MORE hands-on projects and activities are effective for ALL types of learners.
- Spelling lessons include spelling lists, word puzzles, and spelling tips.
- Assessments enable teachers to evaluate progress. Phonics Facts, Grammar Guides, Syllable Sense, and Punctuation Pointers aid students in remembering the tricks of the trade for reading, grammar, and spelling.
- Essential to the program, additional consumable Student Activity Books may be purchased separately
Our second grade reading program includes a Teacher Book, a Student Activity Book, and six readers all packaged in a convenient, attractive full-color box.
Click here for a placement test to see if this is the right level for you.
The following classic children's books are not included in this box set and will need to be purchased or found through your library in order to fully utilize this curriculum:
A Tree Is Nice by Janice May Udry published by HarperCollins.
Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minaret published by HarperCollins.
The Fire Cat by Esther Averill published by HarperCollins.
Bravest Dog Ever by Natalie Standiford published by Random House.
Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall published by Puffin Books - Penguin.
Corduroy by Don Freeman published by Puffin-Penguin Group.
The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown published by Random House.
Billy and Blaze by C.W. Anderson published by Simon and Schuster.
Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion published by HarperCollins.
Abraham Lincoln by d'Aulaire, Ingri and Edgar Parin published by Beautiful Feet Books.
|Publisher:||Common Sense Press|
|Size:||8.5" x 11"|