This carefully constructed Junior Extension (K-2) is designed to coordinate with your main Paths of Exploration manual and provide you with a flexible and stress-free way to give your younger student a sense of ownership and inclusion in your family learning experience. Your student will learn about the early explorers and settlers of our nation, while being challenged by interaction with older students, and gaining a strong foundation of developmentally appropriate skills.
Incorporate younger students across multiple subject areas with quality literature, meaningful discussion, thoughtful notebooking and hands-on learning. Unify your homeschool day and encourage a lifelong love of learning with Paths of Exploration Junior.
Core Resources—used throughout the year
- The Usborne Children’s Encyclopedia
- Fun with Nature Take-Along Guide
- Usborne First Sticker Book Nature
- Junior Classroom Atlas
- Geography from A to Z
- Maps & Globes
- I Can Draw Animals
Columbus—Unit 1 Resources
- Christopher Columbus
- From the Good Mountain (Note: This book is now out of print and is not included in the package. We are looking for a suitable substitute.)
Jamestown—Unit 2 Resources
- The True Story of Pocahontas
- Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci (Note: Leonardo and the Flying Boy originally used in this unit is out of print. Neo Leo is the replacement. You can find the replacement assignments on the Updates page.)
Pilgrims—Unit 3 Resources
- The First Thanksgiving
- The Great Tulip Trade (Note: Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs originally used in this unit is out of print. The Great Tulip Trade is a replacement. You can find the replacement assignments on the Updates page.)
Daniel Boone—Unit 4 Resources
Lewis & Clark—Unit 5 Resources
Trails West—Unit 6 Resources
The Resources Only package contains everything in the above list except for the textbook and Student Notebook pages.
Phonics and math are the only subjects not included in the Junior packages.
However, for your convenience, phonics has been incorporated into the textbook in the following manner.
- Kindergarten Package: The Kindergarten Package includes the Basic Package plus the specially-developed Teach Me, Too! Emergent Reader Kindergarten package, utilizing Eric Carle’s Animals Animals, The Rooster Crows, and a sign language chart. Instructions for using Teach Me, Too! are included in the Word Study (Part D) sections of the lessons.
- 1st and/or 2nd Grade Packages: These packages include the Basic Package and an appropriate Learning Language Arts through Literature (LLATL) program by Debbie Strayer and Susan Simpson. These have been integrated into the Word Study (Part D) and Guided Reading (Part G) portions of Junior each day. The 1st Grade Package includes the Blue Book Boxed Set. The 2nd Grade Package includes the Red Book Boxed Set.
- Kindergarten Add-on: This package includes only the Emergent Reader books and sign language chart. You do not need this If you also order the Kindergarten Package.