This carefully constructed Junior Extension (K-2) is designed to coordinate with your main Paths of Exploration manual and provide you with a flexible and stress-free way to give your younger student a sense of ownership and inclusion in your family learning experience. Your student will learn about the early explorers and settlers of our nation, while being challenged by interaction with older students, and gaining a strong foundation of developmentally appropriate skills.
Incorporate younger students across multiple subject areas with quality literature, meaningful discussion, thoughtful notebooking and hands-on learning. Unify your homeschool day and encourage a lifelong love of learning with Paths of Exploration Junior.
The Basic Package includes the following items:
- Path of Exploration Junior textbook
- Digital downloads (.pdf) of all three levels' Student Notebook pages (also available in printed, three hole-punched versions)
- The Usborne Children’s Encyclopedia
- Fun with Nature Take-Along Guide
- Usborne First Sticker Book Nature
- Junior Classroom Atlas
- Geography from A to Z
- Maps & Globes
- I Can Draw Animals
- Christopher Columbus
- From the Good Mountain
- The True Story of Pocahontas
- The First Thanksgiving
- Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs
- The Raft
- If You Lived in Colonial Times
- Lewis and Clark, A Prairie Dog for the President
- The Boy Who Drew Birds
- Birds, Nests and Eggs
- Johnny Appleseed: My Story
- Journey of a Pioneer
- Leonardo and the Flying Boy (Note: This book, used in Unit 2, has gone out of print and is not being included with any of the packages.)
The Resources Only package contains everything in the above list except for the textbook and Student Notebook pages.
Phonics and math are the only subjects not included in the Junior packages.
However, for your convenience, phonics has been incorporated into the textbook in the following manner.
1st and/or 2nd Grade Packages: These packages include the Basic Package and an appropriate Learning Language Arts through Literature (LLATL) program by Debbie Strayer and Susan Simpson. These have been integrated into the Word Study (Part D) and Guided Reading (Part G) portions of Junior each day.
Of course, you may choose to use a different phonics/language program. We have incorporated LLATL because it follows our philosophy of teaching language skills with a natural, whole-language approach. This will also make for a smooth transition to the Trail Guide to Learning series in the future.